You are reading a rare, detailed account of everyday life in Stateville Prison.

Click to read Paul's blog quoted on:
To contact Paul, please email: paulmodrowski@gmail.com
or write him at the address shown in the right column. He will get your message personally.

Saturday, July 23, 2016

Paul's Response to the Podcast -- Part 2

After their arrest in 1993, my former roommates Bob and Rose Faraci conspired to frame me of not only the murder of Dean Fawcett but also the Palatine Brown's Chicken Massacre. Although Rose eventually admitted their accusations were false, the Cook County States Attorneys Office craftily used their chief deputy's lies to prosecute me under a theory of accountability. My lawyer basically conceded my guilt at trial and I was convicted by a jury that was oblivious the killer had walked free. Without mercy, I was condemned to spend the rest of my life in prison. For over 23 years, I have suffered in captivity for a crime I had nothing to do with. Every day I awake increasingly angry and simmering in hatred. However, my bitter ruminations are not the reason Reply All decided to make my criminal conviction the focus of their podcast as Sruthi Pinnamaneni suggested in her narration.

Early in the year, the Netflix podcast "Making of a Murderer" had gained a great amount of media attention. Because I am isolated in a maximum security penitentiary and have no Internet access, news of it was slow to reach me. Eventually, however, I learned some details through television, newspapers, and a People Magazine article. Apparently, a Wisconsin man was framed by police in a murder. After serving 17 years in prison, Steve Avery was exonerated and sued law enforcement. Oddly, not long after his release, he along with his mildly retarded nephew Brendan Dassey were arrested for another murder by the same cops who set him up previously. Netflix investigated the case and made an in-depth 10 episode broadcast. The series was very successful and brought Netflix worldwide attention.

As a small start-up podcast, Reply All sought to copy the success of Netflix as well as other murder mystery broadcasts such as Serial. However, they did not have the resources, experience, or skill sets to make a quality production. After sending Sruthi numerous police reports, transcripts, and affidavits, she still wanted more information. In detail, I had to explain to her how she could order transcripts from the circuit clerk of the court. I also taught her how to get police discovery under the Freedom of Information Act. Still having troubles and wanting confidential reports, my frail mother spent hours searching through boxes, making copies, and sending the packages to New York until finally learning she could simply scan and send the documents electronically. My attorney also spent many hours talking with Sruthi, providing her documents, and even meeting with her a couple of times to show her police evidence.

At the time Jennifer Blagg was working with Reply All, I was in the midst of finding an attorney to assist her in my appeal. After 6 years had passed, it was obvious she needed some help.  However, despite her struggles working on my appeal, she was a very good public advocate. She went well beyond her professional duties to assist Sruthi Pinnamaneni to create a podcast she hoped would be similar to "Making a Murderer". She strongly believed that public attention of my case would show how grossly unjust my conviction was and pressure the states attorneys office to drop the charge of murder. After Anita Alvarez lost reelection under a swirl of police cover-ups, prosecutorial misconduct, and other malfeasance, I thought there may be a slight chance a little media exposure could be beneficial, but I was still highly skeptical.

Reply All was not Netflix and their audience reach was minuscule. It was difficult for me to see how this tiny audio-only podcast could catch widespread media attention. Then, I know how corrupt to the core the Cook County States Attorneys Office was. Many prosecutors did not care about truth or justice, only convictions, and preserving those convictions. The Conviction Integrity Unit created by Anita Alvarez was a fraud and I don't know how much better it will be under Kim Fox. Plus, before the S.A. will even consider a prisoner's innocence, an appeal must be docketed. Jennifer Blagg was still a long way away from filing a post conviction petition, thus why I was seeking other counsel.

Completing and filing the appeal has been my focus since former Governor Quinn rejected my 5th Clemency Petition and I ceased blog postings. A podcast by Reply All would not have any effect on my legal proceedings or hasten them. Despite the strength of my issues, the Cook County States Attorneys Office will delay and fight the appeal tooth and nail for years. By the time the court vacates my conviction, I will be 50 years old and have suffered in prison more years than the statutory maximum I was eligible for. Even if released this very day, there is little I can do to piece together the shattered fragments of the life I once had. A decade from now there will be only dust. The only motive I had in a podcast was to give my obituary. I am dead and have been since I was 18 years old.

Up until Spring, dialogue with Sruthi Pinnamaneni seemed to have the intent of creating an eulogy. She was impressed by the blog but sought information about my life before I began writing and even as a child. I did not speak until I was 5 years old, but quickly overcame most autism symptoms. I excelled in sports as well as academics. She asked me what my dreams and aspirations were before my arrest, including what university I sought to attend. It was not until prison, I earned a degree with a perfect 4.0 GPA and she asked how the classes were conducted. She inquired about my early experiences in jail and prison. They were life shattering and extremely violent, however, I spent more time protecting other men from being prey to gangs. Sruthi wanted me to articulate the oppression and misery of maximum security, but this was a subject I didn't like thinking about. She asked me what was my happiest moment then, and because they are so far and few between, I was able to quickly answer. Meeting the girl I had romantically courted overseas by mail was the highlight of my afterlife. The topics covered were positive, praise worthy, and inspiring if not also heartbreaking. However, there was a turning point when Sruthi was critical and antagonistic.

Sruthi did not like me and it went beyond my support of Donald Trump. As a bleeding heart liberal, she had compassion for those with autism, however, I was not a sympathetic retard. I have concealed, overcome, and compensated for any weakness with strength. As a child I learned the ways of "The Lord of the Flies". Sruthi hated the Nietszchean philosophy I identified with and my bullying in high school. She thought my aggression was abhorrent and was appalled rather than entertained when I told her an amusing story where I KOed "The Beer King" at a party. Although I was very romantic and chivalrous with girls I dated, Sruthi was aghast that I could ever reprimand them. She also disdained my use of the word "slut". The feminazi apparently thought women should not be judged for their promiscuity and men should act as effeminate eunuchs. Because I refused to associate with the uneducated and stupid prisoners from the ghetto, Sruthi thought I was arrogant and rather than heroic for defending other white prisoners, she accused me of being a racist and a hater.

I was becoming not only annoyed but bored with the interviews. I was nonsocial and took little enjoyment talking over the phone. In fact, during my incarceration, I have went nearly a decade without using it. A few times I was asked if I felt excited being on the show. No, it was just another grim day in the penitentiary. How much did I really care if Reply All produced a podcast about the blog I wanted shut down? My life? Death? And how fair would it be considering Sruthi disliked me? After she seemed to be angry again, I simply didn't call her back for our next scheduled interview. Instead, I sent her an angry letter that began:  "Dear Megyn Kelly:"

Sruthi Pinnamaneni was very defensive when I eventually did get back in touch with her. She insisted that despite our political discord, it would not affect her reporting. I said, "What about your Marxist overlords?"  Since I began talking with Sruthi, I had finally been sent some background information about the people at Reply All. A few of them were further to the left than her. In fact, I imagined they idololized the likes of Lenin, Trotsky, and Karl Marx. On the phone, I was disparaging in other ways and Sruthi warned me not to say such things when she was in the studio, although part of what I said was in jest.

Sruthi very much wanted to do a podcast on my case. I had already assumed she did:  the Palatine Massacre, a double murder trial, one man freed another condemned to an eternity in prison for purportedly lending his car....  It would be a much more captivating story than my blog or obituary. I agreed to continue to be candidly honest and open to any questions. I assisted her in gaining documents and contact information of both friends and foe. Reply All also had my approval to be as racy and melodramatic as they wanted. Make a riveting story, I told Sruthi. However, I just ask three things: be fair, objective, and truthful. In episode 4, all these ground rules were broken.

58 comments:

  1. Let's make a podcast about Paul, one that tells the PAUL'S side.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paul's responses or replies to those podcasts IS how he is telling his side!

      Delete
  2. Hey man. I actually heard about you through Reply All. I listen to the show. I appreciate you're frustration. And I find your story fascinating. I just want to say that I wish you the best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You don't look like you're 41.

    ReplyDelete
  4. https://medium.com/@dathowitzer/forget-did-he-could-he-4fc9c48df379#.4u61rnmy5 Is that really a picture of Paul in the polo shirt? CUTE

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. News media snapped that photo at the time of his arrest. He was just 18 years old then.

      Delete
    2. No. I meant the photo that is further down the page, where he's sitting and pointing?

      Delete
    3. The only picture of Paul is the first one with 2 police men. The 2nd and 3rd photos further down are of no one I have ever seen before.

      Delete
  5. He's got a purdy mouth too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That Bob Faraci he got away with murder! He blamed it all on Paul! He's a bartender now. I would never let him mix a drink for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. but he did not get away with murder entirely...not with God at least..someday after he dies, he will have to stand before God at the great white throne judgment and answer for murdering Dean Fawcett and framing Paul..

      Imagine the pride Faraci holds now for getting away with all of this..on judgment day, that pride will turn to terror and fear as he answers to the lord. The unimaginable horror will get 1000 times worst, when he is then cast into hell or the eternal lake of fire.

      Delete
  7. I was glad to see an email announcing an update to your blog. I hope this means you are returning to the internet! Finally listened to all the podcast episodes. They were unfair to you, Paul.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah that guy seems like he's a real weaselly wascal. He put Paul in prison. I understand why Paul hates him so much. He got away with murder and Paul is doing life without parole for his crime!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not so sure that Paul hates Faraci. The State's Attorney McKay twisted and turned facts at the trial, especially in his closing arguments to the jury. His interview on Reply All was laughable--that man wanted victory at all costs, even Paul's life! And Paul's lawyer was also representing a leader of the mafia at the time, so perhaps he was bought off to throw the case.

      The "justice" system in Illinois isn't like a TV show where the good guys always win. I think Paul's case is a perfect example of just how corrupt the State of Illinois really is.

      Perhaps Paul should write to Gov. Rauner who seems to want to change things in the state.

      Delete
    2. It is obvious that McKay twisted facts for sure. In one argument, he is arguing that Modrowski killed Fawcett, yet at the same time in a separate argument he is arguing that Modrowski lent Faraci his car to kill Fawcett. So in the murder trial, he argued that Modrowski killed Fawcett and that he lent Faraci his car so Faraci could kill Fawcett. Does that make sense to you???

      Listening to the podcast, you can hear how strong McKay's stand against Modrowski is..Even after more than 20 years, McKay seems just as determined to prove Paul's guilt as he did during the trial.

      McKay is determined to keep Paul locked up at all means, that is why he is at all of Paul's clemency hearings and speaks so strongly against Paul.
      I personally think that McKay knows if Paul is exonerated, his corruption will be exposed and career will be ruined. He could face a massive lawsuit from Paul, lose his position as prosecutor or even be sent to prison himself on corruption charges.

      Delete
    3. You got that right for sure about Mckay...
      And regarding lawsuits, if Paul is exonerated,the State of Illinois should be forced to pay him 1 million dollars for each year that he was wrongfully imprisoned. So if Paul was exonerated right now, the State of Illinois should pay him 23 million dollars in restitution, for all of the 23 years that he has missed and will never get back.

      And if that makes the Illinois state economy even more broke, that is their problem. This will make the state led by corrupt politicians, attorneys, prosecutors and police forces think twice before locking up innocent people for no reason.

      Delete
  9. Is there gonna be another post by Paul?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Paul I work at Stateville. For obvious reasons I have to remain anonymous. But some good news for you maybe. There is paperwork being processed to move you to a medium security facilty. You won't be out but it will for sure be a far less harsh environment. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh great. Now you've probably ruined it for Paul. Other Stateville employees probably read this too.

      Delete
    2. I thought Paul wanted to stay at StateVille.

      Delete
    3. Paul and family, have you verified this?!

      Delete
    4. Sure hope this is true! Placement at the facility in Dixon would be a miracle! The other locations are far away from Paul's family and not as decent as Dixon.

      Delete
    5. Wait. Isn't Dixon the hospital prison for the old geezers?

      Delete
    6. Yeah a medium security prison definitely would be a better environment for Paul...he would have fewer restrictions and more freedom. The facilities would be cleaner without the roach infestation problems at Stateville. The cells would be more friendlier, the food and medical care would be better and he would be given more access to commissary.
      Also the inmate population would be less threatening. In the Medium Security prison, he will be housed mostly with men serving time for burglary, armed robbery, arson and similar offenses, instead of living with mass murderers.
      Maybe Paul will be reunited with former cellmate "Cracker" who was transferred to a medium security prison. In the blog posts, "Cracker" was always my favorite cellmate of Paul's.

      Delete
    7. Paul calls his Mom regularly. She asked him if he knew anything about being transferred to a medium security prison. He said no, but most mediums are as bad as Stateville now...with one exception: Dixon. So let's hope (and pray) that Paul will be transferred to Dixon!!

      Delete
    8. Cracker now resides at Hill Prison.

      Delete
    9. And just how does he know medium security is bad if he's never been to one?

      Delete
    10. If a man breaks any rules or is a problem for guards at any medium security prison, he is sent to a maximum security as a punishment. I'm sure Paul has met many of these men over the years and gets a first hand opinion of what each medium is like.

      Delete
    11. I doubt that the family will get an advanced notice. The warden will probably show up at his cell one morning and say 'Pack up, Paul. You're off to ________.'

      Delete
  11. Wow this would be great news! He would have so much more mobility and relative freedom plus it would probably be a lot quieter. He might even be able to do something like manage an intra prison newspaper. You know like Hard Time News or something. Also even better he might even be able to have a girlfriend and be able to have conjugal visits. Then ultimately maybe he is released back into the Free World.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No conjugal visit in Illinois.

      Delete
    2. The medium security facilities are better than Stateville in dozens of ways. Some have day rooms where inmates are allowed to walk around freely. Most inmates are nonthreatening and fights are rare. The food served is far better too!

      Delete
    3. I though Paul didn't want to be transferred.

      Delete
    4. I think that "inmates roaming freely" would lead to MORE fights.

      Delete
    5. In some ways the medium-security prisons are better but many are not. Paul has talked about the one in Dixon as being the best of them. It is also closest to his family so they could visit more often.

      Delete
    6. I think most men at medium security prisons realize that if they don't obey the rules or get in fights they will be sent to a max joint for the remainder of their time. That would be a big motivator to keep them from misbehaving!

      Delete
  12. Paul is INNOCENT! Let him out now! He's still young enough to have a wife and kids and to enjoy life. He's in that prison with that horrible cell mate of his who sliced a woman up and killed her. He was on death row but his sentence was commuted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He doesn't get to choose his cellmate.

      Delete
    2. No one gets to choose their cellmate!

      Delete
  13. Hi Paul, I hope you will start writing again. I would especially like to hear your commentary about Donald Trump and Crooked Hillary.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your blog would be so much easier to read and peruse if you would make use of the jump or page break function in the blogspot template. Just a helpful hint.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well then I guess if it's true, Paul will have a new prison to blog about. That should be interesting. Paul, I am glad you returned to honor your faithful readers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes!! Let's hope Paul goes to Dixon! He'll have more to write about (and perhaps better food and medical care)!

      Delete
    2. Other young lifers are at Dixon (Tommy Odle)

      Delete
    3. I think Dixon CC is the "special needs" prison. For geriatric cases and psychological cases. I don't think normal prisoners go there.

      Delete
    4. Paul has a psychological issue:autism.

      Delete
  16. Paul it's crazy but a lot of us are addicted to reading your blog. We are have withdrawals. We know you've taken a much needed break but your best writing is yet to come.

    ReplyDelete
  17. One should not make you look had because of your political beliefs. As a Libertarian I am extremely appalled that people should be prejudiced against anyone for the political beliefs, that is totally unacceptable!

    Honestly I am not supporting Donald Trump or Hillary Clinton but I am supporting Jill Stein because of her Environmental record and as an asthmatic and on the autism spectrum I want all coal-fired power plants to be shut down as they contribute to mercury poisoning, climate change and birth defects.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She says vaccines cause Autism....

      Delete

  18. What has happened to Paul is clear evidence of discrimination against people with special.
    A good friend of mine who lives in New York City was arrested on the suspicion of assault and public intoxication since his autism made him appear drunk and when the cops try to arrest him he resisted arrest which led the cops to charge him with assault and even when they realized that he was disabled and not drunk the cops caught him to plead guilty in retaliation for him being defiant during the arrest it ended well for him since his mom reported him missing and when he was given a trial he was acquitted and sent to a mental institution for a couple of months for treatment in relation to the trauma he sustained during the arrest and subsequent imprisonment while awaiting trial period needs please sign this petition for Paul

    http://www.thepetitionsite.com/949/200/168/free-innocent-autistic-man-who-was-given-life-without-parole-for-no-reason/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I signed. Thank you for posting this petition for Paul.

      Delete
  19. Dixon is the hospital prison. For old men and for the psychos too. Do they have general population too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dixon does have general population.

      Delete
  20. I heard about you through Reply All. Your perspective is interesting.

    ReplyDelete

If you choose Name / URL, you can write any name and you don't need a URL. Or you can choose Anonymous. Paul loves getting your Comments. They are all mailed to him.