You are reading a rare, detailed account of everyday life in Stateville Prison.

Click to read Paul's blog quoted on:
To contact Paul, please email: paulmodrowski@gmail.com
or write him at the address shown in the right column. He will get your message personally.

Tuesday, June 17, 2014

One Week Amongst 21 Years -- May 3, 2014

On April 28, 1993, I was arrested by numerous gun wielding police. Thereafter, I was taken to a secret location to be unscrupulously interrogated for two days. Charged with murder, I spent two years at the Cook County Jail awaiting trial. My attorney failed to contest the testimony of one of the interrogating officers and I was convicted of my co-defendant's actions, yet he was acquitted of committing any crime. Despite this irony and a judge who concluded I was not present at the crime scene, I was condemned to languish in prison for the rest of my life. The following is the more memorable parts of the week and no way reflective of the trials and tribulations I have endured over the last 21 years, although they weighed heavily on my thoughts:

On Sunday morning I did not have to look into my tray to see what was in it. For years, the same breakfast of biscuits and gravy has been served. I do not mind the biscuits which can go well with peanut butter and jelly, but the gravy was horrendous. It was made of turkey-soy, flour, beef seasoning and grease. The gravy quickly coagulates and looks like what would fall out of a can of Alpo dog food. Other than men in segregation, very few prisoners eat it. After taking the biscuits off the tray and scraping off all the gravy, I made myself a bowl of bran flakes.

Showers were run on my gallery at 7 a.m. and I awakened my cellmate. Anthony always goes to the shower room despite what time of day guards let out prisoners. While I ate breakfast and watched the news, I could hear past my ear buds that someone was playing hip hop music on their radio. Early in the morning, it was one of the last things I wanted to hear and apparently I was not the only person who thought that way. The lieutenant who was in his office below my cell came out and sought out the source of the music. Prisoners are not permitted to play their radios or TVs at excessive levels and can have them confiscated, but he did not apprehend the noise offender.

After exercising and bathing from the sink, I went to the chow hall for lunch. It was a wasted trip because I gave my grease-chicken-soy patty and sherbet to my cellmate. However, I did get to witness an amusing harangue by a loony black prisoner. For no apparent reason, Kojak stood by the table I was sitting at and began to yell and threaten Leprechaun. My neighbor did not even turn to acknowledge his presence and continued eating as if he did not exist. The incident seemed surreal and I had to ask Leprechaun if he was addressing him. I knew he could not be talking to me in that manner. However, who was Kojak then telling to meet him in the shower to fight?

When Kojak left, Leprechaun said he was not going to engage him. He was a nut case and not worth getting in trouble for. My neighbor was rather cowardly and could have at least returned some words. I asked him if he wanted me to handle Kojak in the shower for him. It has been a while since I used my spinning back kick. I could KO him before he even realized what was going on. Leprechaun said I would go to segregation, but I told him the loony convict would not remember what happened when he gained consciousness. Guards would think he just lost his footing in the shower and cracked his head if they even cared to discern a plausible explanation.

Last week, Kojak was released from segregation and moved into a cell a couple of doors down from mine. He was in Seg a month for fighting with a former cellmate of his at the Health Care Unit. From what I was told, it was a rather hilarious display because both men were weak and neither knew how to fight. The incident, apparently, was instigated by Kojak. He was angry the other prisoner had been dropping dimes on him. Ironically, they were both telling on each other to be separated and are known snitches. Kojak reminds me less of the TV show detective he is named after than a black version of Uncle Fester from the Adams Family. Half the time I expect him to put a light bulb in his mouth.

For dinner, I did not bother to leave my cell for soy-spaghetti or any further drama. However, as my cellmate and neighbor left, I yelled to Anthony, "Take care of Mini-Me!" During the time chow lines were run in the cell house, I washed my gym shoes and shorts with bleach that someone had given me only because he was concerned the Orange Crush may still ransack the penitentiary. According to ongoing rumors, an enormous tactical unit made up of SORT from various prisons was making rounds. They were at Galesburg (Hill Correctional Center), and last week when they were expected to storm Stateville they instead traveled to Dixon.

Monday morning an army of orange suited guards with full body armor and carrying batons did not invade the penitentiary. However, this did not dissuade many prisoners from trying to be added onto the personal property list. Only two lines of about 10 men are generally permitted to go to the warehouse. Occasionally, the sergeant will add on a couple of extra inmates to the lines if they have an urgent need. Prisoners who asked to be added to the list sought to move their excess legal paperwork into storage. One of the nuances of the Orange Crush rumor was they were going to throw out any property which was not in their assigned boxes with the exception of a TV, radio, and/or fan.

While I read a Barron's newspaper, I listened to the Rush Limbaugh show. I was expecting the Russian backed unrest in eastern Ukraine to be the topic of conversation but instead I heard about the owner of the LA Clippers. Apparently, there was a public uproar that he told his girlfriend he did not want her coming to games with black people. Why this was national news was beyond my comprehension. As the owner of an NBA team, he could invite who he wanted. Furthermore, I did not see a racial dimension considering his girlfriend was black and Mexican herself. Yet despite this, there were all types of black celebrities, activist groups, and basketball players incensed by the tape recording and demanding Donald Sterling, who has owned the team since 1982, to be removed from the NBA.

After listening to Rush Limbaugh, I went to sleep. I commonly become tired in the early afternoon and need to re-energize myself. It was chilly and damp in the quarter unit and I put on thermals underneath my sweats. In addition, I threw a wool blanket over myself. To block out all the yelling prisoners, I put in thick earplugs. I save an extra pair for napping during the day which men who work with jack hammers use. They are painful to keep in all night but for an hour or two are not a problem. Occasionally, I wonder if I would rather hear overlapping rap, hip hop, mariachi, or other music I greatly dislike or the cacophonous noise of various prisoners yelling to each other.

As normal, I dreamed of a life outside of prison and was unhappy when I awoke. Refreshed from sleep, but unmotivated to do anything, I made myself a cup of coffee to go along with some peanut butter and pretzel rolls which were donated to the penitentiary. As I ate, I watched Wolf Blitzer on CNN and one of the top stories was about Amanda Knox. The Italian appellate court just released their reason for reinstating her murder conviction. Despite how it was abundantly clear that Rudy Guede, an African migrant, killed her housemate Meredith Kercher all on his own, the court stated in their opinion the murder had to have been the work of more than one person. The ridiculous assessment and legal tribulations Knox has endured reminded me of the date. Twenty-one years ago, I was arrested by the Palatine Task Force.

The Palatine massacre was solved long ago, but I continue to remain in prison based on my trial attorney's decision not to contest the testimony of a detective who worked for the Illinois States Attorney's office. He claimed I admitted my roommate told me he was going to kill the victim and I lent him my vehicle. Evidence that Faraci murdered Fawcett was overwhelming yet he was acquitted and I was convicted by a different jury under a theory of accountability. Since the trial, the prosecution has been aware of witnesses placing my car 50 miles from the crime scene. However, they were not called by my defense lawyer who preferred to simply argue that regardless I was not accountable for my co-defendant's actions. I have given State's Attorney Anita Alvarez additional evidence proving Faraci committed the murder alone and I did not lend him my car, but this has been ignored.

After writing a letter to Nadine Lenarczak at an address provided to me by an anonymous reader of my blog, I watched a PBS documentary on the John F. Kennedy assassination. The show went over various forensic evidence to demonstrate there was no conspiracy and Lee Harvard Oswald alone killed the president. Belief that a 4th shot was taken was discredited when acoustics showed sound could bounce off buildings to make it seem like another shot was taken and possibly from a different direction. Also, because the bullet traveled at a speed faster than that of sound, there would be a sonic boom. Most persuasive, however, was the autopsy which showed fracturing of the skull and damage to the brain from a bullet coming from the direction of Oswald and not any second party on the "grassy knoll". When I mentioned all the science that made conspiracy theorists look foolish to my cellmate, his only response was, "So Jimmy Files was lying about killing the president?" Anthony was joking about a prisoner formerly at Stateville who claims to have given John F. Kennedy the final and fatal shot.

Tuesday morning I went to the South Yard to lift weights and run. It was cold and cloudy and not as many prisoners came out as I had anticipated. My neighbor Hooch only had Fat Jimmy to play handball with and the latter lost energy after less than a half hour. Hooch's cowardly cellmate hung on the fence nearby looking longingly at the laundry building where he once worked. Possibly, this was another reason he ignored Kojak because he was waiting to be rehired later in the year. After doing most of my exercises with the weights, I told my cellmate I was going to run. Being a smart ass, he asked me why I was telling him. Did I seek his permission? Want his watch to time my laps? No, I told him. I did not want any of the above. I just wanted to let him know I was leaving him all alone amongst black inmates and they may want to take out their anger on the only Caucasian person in their vicinity since they could not get to 80-year-old Donald Sterling.

I was joking with my cellmate, of course. No one at the prison cared about the privately recorded conversation between Sterling and V. Stiviano. The previous night I overheard black convicts talking openly about the subject from their cells. "So what?" I heard one man say. "Everyone is racist including many of the NBA players. They pretend like they will refuse to play, but for $20 million, who is going to turn that down?" Another prisoner chimed in that you cannot control people's thoughts. These sentiments and others were expressed on the Rick Savage radio talk show, however, it did not change the decision of NBA Commissioner Adam Silver. He pronounced that the Clippers owner was banned for life like a judge handing down a natural life sentence in prison.

I did not want to go to the chow hall, but the yard line was run into it after the rec period was over. "Slick meat" was being served and I just left it and the other distasteful food on my tray. Interestingly, when guards yelled for us to leave, Kojak came from across the chow hall to take my tray and discard its contents in the garbage can for me. I am not certain if he overheard me talking to Leprechaun a couple of days prior or if he just wanted to make sure I would not get involved in his dispute with a person I regularly ate meals with. While his action was amusing to me and others at the table, it would not change my opinion of him.

In the cell, Anthony bathed out of the sink and I sat at the table near the bars eating a substitute meal. Bob stopped by to say goodbye as he was finally being transferred to the high-medium security prison in Galesburg. There was nothing greatly exciting about being sent to a level 2 facility and in fact it could be in ways more oppressive and violent than Stateville. Stateville has a lot of older convicts particularly in our quarter unit and thus they are less likely to jump into fights. I warned Bob to keep a low profile for awhile and be a fly on the wall rather than always trying to be friendly with everyone. Convicts can take that as a sign of weakness and target him as a "mark". "And wipe off that constant smile!" I told him. "You have nothing to be happy about anyway." Bob was in prison for having sex with a 17-year-old girl and hit with nearly a 40 year sentence of which he has to serve 85%. I do not care if he was a Hinsdale High School teacher. 40 years was excessive even for the pedophile who was moved in the cell next to mine despite how much I loathe him.

John raped a retarded child under the age of 13 and I have not hidden my animosity for him. Last week when he was moved next door, I thought it had to be more than coincidence. Someone had a sense of humor or wanted me to kick his ass. However, I have since learned his previous cellmate has for months been trying to get him moved. A bunk next to my cell opened up when its occupant was transferred and it just so happened his cellmate and John had shared a cell before. Apparently, they got along well and he was one of the few prisoners in the unit that did. Rumor has it they are both homosexuals and I am reluctant to speculate. I still do not know with certainty the sex of John's rape victim.

I rarely see Malinowski despite how he lives next door. He goes to chow, but because he attends medical lines, he often leaves or returns to the cell at a different time. Prisoners who receive insulin shots or narcotic pain medication are taken to the H.C.U. in the evening at or about the same time as dinner. Apparently, he has a host of possible medical or psychiatric problems. My cellmate said he saw him in the shower and much of his body was covered in open sores. I have noticed him also receiving numerous types of medications. Plus at night, the nurse stops by his cell to give him a psychotropic or at least that is what I believe it to be.

I have heard a few prisoners express that the pedophile should get the same punishment as Clayton Lockett. Lockett was convicted of raping and killing a 10-month-old baby in Oklahoma and sentenced to death. This week he was executed, but something apparently went wrong. According to CNN, he was declared unconscious yet when lethal drugs were administered, he began to writhe and clench his teeth in immense pain. The curtains in the death chamber were closed to prevent people from witnessing his suffering and although the proceedings were halted, he died not long thereafter from a heart attack. I tend to think the execution was botched intentionally and was not just an accident. Liberals may believe that this is just another reason to abolish the death penalty, however, contrarily, I believe it should be used much more often and the brutality of it not minimized or hidden from the public. If society knew what death looked like, there may be more emphasis on correcting the justice system to make sure it works properly. Giving people lethal injections, natural life without parole or similar sentences sweeps under the rug cases such as my own.

On Thursday, my cellmate went to the gymnasium. I asked him why he was bothering since nearly all the machine weights were broken. He exclaimed that he wanted to show the black prisoners who owns the court in reference to apparently something Donald Sterling said or insinuated. Fortunately, when I tuned in to the Rush Limbaugh show after my cell workout and sink bath, the discussion had moved on to more important news. A memo was discovered further demonstrating how the White House was attempting to cover-up the cause of the attack on a U.S. embassy in Benghazi, Libya. Even more disturbing to me is not the political deception, but negligence and incompetence the Obama administration has repeatedly shown in regards to handling foreign crises. It is not just Libya, but situations in North Korea, Iran, Iraq and Ukraine which extol weakness and ineptitude to the world.

Yesterday, I sat with Leprechaun and made fun of his cowardice since few prisoners would understand or care about the nuances of foreign affairs. I asked the midget how he ever survived when the IDOC was wild. Did he get protection from the bikers? "No," he said, "They got protection from me," which caused Hooch to roll his eyes. Then I asked if he did the North Siders laundry. Eventually, he told me he was not sent to the penitentiary until 1998 and was at Joliet C.C. which was less violent than the other maximum security prisons. By the time it was closed in 2001, the IDOC had changed significantly.

Leaving the chow hall, Kojak was meandering at the gate almost as if he was delirious. He went back and forth and then left to right, blocking my path. I was behind him and he did not see me. The nut case in fact seemed oblivious to the world. The lieutenant saw my frustration and told me to just push him out of the way. This I would have done already except a member of Internal Affairs was standing nearby. Other guards would not have cared if I threw him to the ground, but I did not know how I.A. would react. The low-life's I must deal with in prison I thought as I bumped Kojak to the side and left the center feeding circle. However, was not my life just as low and pathetic?

Earlier this morning, I was apparently staring blankly and my cellmate kicked my shoes. He asked if I was still alive. I answered, "The living dead." I have spent 21 years incarcerated and almost everything of meaning or value to me has faded away. I carry on mostly through a sheer force of will and determination to see justice. This week also commemorates 5 years that I have been writing this blog and I have seriously considered making this post my last. I hate my life and writing about it continuously. It is a Never Ending Story and not one that I foresee having a happy ending. Furthermore, I have covered virtually every topic imaginable and have trouble thinking of names to title them. This was just one week amongst 21 years I have been incarcerated.

125 comments:

  1. Bob got 40 years for having sex with one of his 17 year old students. I think Bob was in his early 20's at the time. I agree that his sentence is outrageous, but then again so is yours Paul.

    I remember a few good looking teachers in high school that many girls flirted with. The temptation was too much for Bob, or he's just one that got caught. Didn't you write that you dated some of your high school teachers? Perhaps having sex with a student is illegal but dating students is not?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Temptation is one thing; sinning is another.

      Delete
    2. Bob was in his 40's.

      Delete
    3. His 40's? Old fart had no business fooling around with those girls. I'll have to fact check that.

      Delete
    4. Yes, I dated a couple of my high school teachers and I did not see anything criminal about it. One of the teachers I went out with was in her early 20's and could be mistaken for a student. Vice versa, I looked much older than I was. When we were together, none of my friends who were also in their 20's thought it was odd. Since I wrote this post, however, I have learned more details about Bob's case and he was not telling me the entire truth. Regardless, I think the 32 years he received is an outrageous sentence.

      Delete
    5. It seems excessive. I know a child molester who was sentenced to only 10 years for molesting several children. He was out in 5 years. The irony: child molesters have a high incidence of reoffenses. Murderers have a statistically low incidence of reoffenses.

      Delete
    6. Hey, this Bob character knee better than to sleep with a student.

      Delete
    7. Sorry. "knew better"

      Delete
    8. You really dated your teachers?

      Delete
  2. A man who rapes a baby should be executed! So he suffered when the execution went wrong--so what? Think of the pain that baby suffered--there's no comparison. A lethal injection is an easy death compared to what most murder victims suffered. I have no pity for Clayton Lockett. None at all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would miss you if you stopped writing. :-(

    I enjoy hearing your opinions on various topics.

    ReplyDelete
  4. a dedicated readerJune 17, 2014 at 5:21 PM

    Nooooooo. Please don't stop writing. Take a break if you must--or simply write about different topics that interest you. I find your opinions fascinating even when I don't agree with all of them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may reduce the length of my posts or more regularly write about issues other than my life in prison. Thanks for reading.

      Delete
    2. a dedicated readerJuly 30, 2014 at 11:41 PM

      Thank YOU for continuing to write!

      Delete
  5. Paul, will you be able to keep up with Bob at his new facility? I don't know if prisoners are allowed to contact prisoners at other facilities.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Prisoners are not allowed to correspond with one another without special permission from the warden. Usually, this is only granted for family members.

      Delete
  6. Understandable that you are not wanting to write about your life. I ask you to reconsider though. You have a lot of "fans" and we would feel the loss.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We love you Paul ! Virtual hugs from a reader .

    ReplyDelete
  8. Please don't stop. Please?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You certainly know how to motivate a man who has been incarcerated over two decades! If I do stop blogging, I may just want to write you personally.

      Delete
    2. I motivated you by simply saying "Please don't stop. Please?"

      Or were you kidding?

      Delete
    3. You did not understand the sexual undertones of your comment? Yes, I was joking!

      Delete
  9. Pls write about the classes you took to get your degree. Which subjects did you like? Hate? Tell us some stories about the instructors. What was your major? Were there any other prisoners that graduated with you? Did you actually attend a graduation ceremony and if so: was it at the prison or at Lewis?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You ask too many questions for this forum! I took a wide array of classes including those in theology which were mandatory because Lewis University is a Catholic school. Some of my favorite subjects of study are science, mathematics, history, philosophy, and politics. The best classes were those taught by professors who were challenging and engaging. The final graduation ceremony was at Joliet C.C. in 1999. I was the class valedictorian, but I refused to attend and give a speech. No family was allowed and it was just prisoners, guards, and faculty from Lewis U.

      Delete
    2. WHY U NO ATTEND YOUR GRADUATION?

      Delete
    3. Woul you consider doing a post about your "college days?"

      Delete
    4. Which philosophy and catholic classes?

      Delete
    5. Why didn't you go to graduation?

      Delete
    6. I don't like it that they canceled all college classes at Stateville.

      Delete
  10. Blog readers! Please see comments in post #253 "the invasion of Ukraine" and help Paul

    ReplyDelete
  11. I echo the others' sentiments: you would be greatly missed. I support whatever you decide--your mental health is more important than your blog--but I really do hope you decide to keep on blogging. Maybe write less often....once every two weeks or once a month maybe? As far as titles, don't worry about those. Just entitle your entries with the date.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey, Paul, do they still have the "convict choir" at stateville?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I believe they still do have a choir at Stateville. However, I do not think they meet often.

      Delete
  13. Paul! Your readers would miss your wit and wisdom!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Still waiting for Anthony's post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey. Maybe Anthony could post for a while while Paul takes a break?

      Delete
    2. Paul. Post about other things that interest you if you are tired of describing prison life. For example, I just read a post where you did a book review. It was great.

      Delete
    3. Oh lord, what if Paul quits and hands the blog over to Mertz? TV and movie critic site anyone? Yikes.

      Delete
    4. Saw on the IDOC website that Mertz has a total of 8 counts of murder. How is that even possible if be murdered only one person?

      Delete
    5. The prosecutor can re-word "murder" in numerous different ways despite there being only one body. The end result is the same, however, and Mertz was not given 8 sentences of death.

      Delete
  15. Let's all do something to let Paul know that we appreciate the time he takes to write this great piece of literature...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed. Make it happen.

      Delete
  16. Paul's blog post #213 provides greater detail of what happened to him when he was arrested and at his trial. I can understand why he's so upset--remembering those events again and again, but never getting justice. I hope he sees the day when those cops pay a price for what they did to him. I pray this is not a "never ending story" but one that has a joyful ending of freedom and restoration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. I sure hope so too.

      Delete
    2. Sorry everyone--it is post #210 that Paul writes about his arrest and trial in greater detail. I noticed a few readers have posted questions that could be answered in #210. A Decade in the Trenches.

      Delete
  17. I will miss you as well if you quit. I have been reading this blog for about 3 years, and have read every single entry. I will miss you a lot if you decide to quit Paul, but if it no longer is a good thing for you I surely don't want you to continue.

    On another note, I looked up that address for Nadine that you wrote to. It is the address of a small apartment building, and I did not see an apartment number in that post. If you get returned mail that could possibly be the reason. I was actually able to bring up the building online and see it. I am not the person who posted that address, but I did find it in the comment area of your Nadine entry,

    I hope this blog will be kept online even if you do quit, please don't take it down. You never know who could end up reading it someday, it could possibly be helpful, who knows? This blog should be published, actually. As other posters above have suggested you could write less frequently if that works. I will wait to see how it all plays out, but if you never post again I have learned a lot from your blog, I have been horrified by it, and I am impressed by you in many ways. You are such a great writer. Your circumstances are appalling, our prisons are appalling, and our justice system is a joke in so many ways. You are a very strong person. If I knew something I could do for you I certainly would, but I don't know. If someone comes up with ideas please post them. I would like to help Paul, but I don't know how. Try not to give up hope Paul, and keep pushing for clemency. When I first started reading I did sign the petition online. People need to keep doing that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paul does not realize his own power. How could he? I am an atheist and as such Paul needs immediate action on his situation. A Quickening if you will.
      On another note Paul is my hero. He really is. This isn't just superlatives tossed out to cheer up some fucker in Stateville. He is an incredible writer. Paul is worried about coming up with titles for his compositions? Ha! What a great problem to have when you have a intense creative output and have immense talent. I can not wait for the day when this blog is titled: Paul Modrowski - On The Outside.

      Delete
    2. To anonymous of June 22: I am a Christian and I agree with your comment!

      Delete
    3. Anonymous of 6/20/14: Thank you very much for your kind words and for researching Nadine's address. I assume she received the letter because I never had the mail returned. The worst way to reach out to someone is via a letter and I knew it was highly unlikely she would respond. If I had a P.I. I would ask him to speak to her. I wish I could speak to her myself along with certain other people I would like affidavits from, including Rose Zerillo (formerly Rose Faraci).

      Delete
    4. It doesn't mean she personally received it. It means that it was delivered to the address. You might try registered mail?

      Delete
    5. Thank you very much for your comments and flattery I do not believe I deserve. I wish I could be a hero and do much more with my life. However, all I have is a tale of sorrow to tell.

      Delete
  18. Don't be a quitter Man.... Do what you do, and you do this (blog) well..!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hinsdale. Bob taught in Hinsdale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob's sentence is way too harsh. Its probably because it was Dupage County.

      Delete
    2. What makes you say that? Why are Dupage sentences harsher?

      Delete
    3. No matter what you think about his case Bob doesn't belong in a max joint. Glad he was moved.

      Delete
    4. I think because their are more rich snobs in that county.

      Delete
    5. their=there
      Sorry for the typo.

      Delete
    6. Mr. Modrowski,

      Suppose it were your teenage daughter. What would be an appropriate sentence?

      Delete
    7. Bob taught at Hinsdale Central High School and I must have made an error writing otherwise. As for there being two girls, he only spoke of one to me and said she was 17. I believe Bob disputes when sex or actual intercourse took place between them. Regardless, the 8 criminal counts should have run concurrent and 32 years is an outrageously excessive sentence.

      Delete
    8. If she were 17, he wouldn't have been prosecuted. 17 is the age of consent in the Land of Corruption.... Um, I mean Illinois.

      Delete
    9. Anonymous on 8/4: Before I give you my answer, let me give you some facts about Bob Mueller's case you may not be aware of. This was statutory rape, not forceable rape. The girls were in their late teens and were already sexually active. They also did not have any grudge against their school teacher even years after the fact. In this situation, I do not see anything criminal.

      If it were my daughter, I would be more upset with her for being involved in promiscuous activity and myself for not raising her properly. However, if I did think she was taken advantage of in some way, I would simply beat Bob up and the law would never become involved.

      Delete
    10. You can raise kids properly and they can STILL DEFY YOU.

      Delete
    11. If you beat someone up, the law WILL BECOME INVOLVED.

      Delete
    12. Well it was criminal due to the statute. I can agree that the teens may have been MORALLY culpable. But legally the line has to be drawn somewhere, doesn't it?

      Delete
    13. True enough. The law does have to have some cutoff. Anyhow, Bob shouldn't have been having sex with anyone but his own wife.

      Delete
    14. Adolescents will always defy their parents. If they did not, there may be something wrong with them. Parents should not try to crush their children to be obedient clones. Rather they should try to instill strong values and character.

      Delete
    15. Nov. 6 comment: No one who is the least bit intelligent will call the police if they took advantage of my daughter. They will take their beating and accept it.

      Delete
    16. I've known of cases where the parent took the law into their own hands. One time, the parent got a longer prison term than the molester. I'd be careful if I were you.

      Delete
    17. Anon. of 1/15/15: Your hypotheticals grow larger with each comment. 1. Bob had consensual intercourse with a previously sexually active 17 year old and did not rape or take advantage of her. 2. The girl or 2 girls are not my daughters and even if so I would blame myself for poor parenting or them for being promiscuous. 3. I have a natural life sentence and will most likely die in prison. I have nothing to be careful about. Furthermore, if I were free, had a teenage daughter, and that daughter was forcably raped, I would not fear a charge of aggravated assault which would be plead down to a simple battery.

      Delete
    18. 15. The girl was 15. Mueller knew better; no excuses for him.

      If she were 17, you wouldn't even know him: 17 is the age of consent in the state of Illinois.

      Delete
    19. Oh, and the poster above as correct. I do know of one case that the parent beat up the molester and got a longer sentence than the molester himself.

      Delete
  20. 40 yrs = ridiculous for consensual sex with a 17 yr old. Say if it had been a day after her 18th bday? Then fine, no big deal. Typical nonsensical US "justice". I'm not advocating the activity of a hs teacher having sex with a student, of course, but still..come on.... he's not even a pedophile, as that term applies more so to men who are attracted solely to pre-pubescent children (thus, the "pedo" part of the word). It's an abuse of trust type of issue, and a huge impropriety, for a hs teacher male or female to do that, but at the same time, 17 is not the same as 13 or 14 or under.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, the age of consent in Illinois is 17. So I googled Robert Mueller's case. The articles that I read state that at least one of the girls was 15-16 years old when it started.

      Delete
    2. http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2007-03-02/news/0703020305_1_creswell-sentence-graduate

      Delete
    3. Ah ok. Well, 15 or so would make more sense at least, yes. I never googled the case myself. In either case, don't get me wrong, he shouldn't be having sex with students or minors (even 17) entrusted to his care, obviously. That's terrible. It's just that I think 40 yrs is ridiculous for consensual sex or relationship with a 17 yr old. The teacher / student part however, if that is true, would put him in more trouble though, granted. But still not 40 yrs' worth. I realize it was a different country and culture, but one of my uncles married one of my aunts when he was 33 and she was 17, and they moved to US later and remained happily married until he passed away just recently. I couldn't imagine that in the US he would have to get 40 yrs in prison for that, nor was he pedofile of course.

      Delete
    4. Technically it cannot be "consensual sex" unless 17 or older.

      Delete
  21. Why would a level 2 facility be MORE violent than Stateville?
    If that's the case, why would men want to transfer to a level 2?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Violence is not a deciding factor for many prisoners. I would gladly exchange safety for more freedom. Unfortunately, the extra freedoms at level 2 penitentiaries are small and the guards are more petty about enforcing a myriad of rules.

      Delete
    2. What are the extra freedoms at a level 2 prison?

      Delete
  22. Saw a link to this blog on a church site. Praying for justice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? Which one? I'm so curious.... If my church had a site where members could post things of interest, I would put a link to Paul's blog. People need to know what our prisons are really like. As long as the people are kept in the dark there will never be reforms--either in the prisons themselves or in sentencing laws.

      Delete
    2. It had a section for prayer requests. Asked for prayers for justice for Paul plus gave a link to this blog.

      Delete
    3. Hey, that's a good way to get the word out! Maybe those of us who pray can submit this blog to prayer sites?

      Delete
  23. God be with you.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Anybody see the front page of today's Chicago Tribune? Nancy Rish has a good shot at clemency from Governor Quinn. This was the best quote from the story:

    Rish's clemency hearing before the Illinois Prisoner Review Board, scheduled for July 8 at the Thompson Center, may be her best chance at freedom.

    "The governor should let Nancy go," said Chicago attorney Margaret Byrne, who is representing Rish. "There is no evidence to connect her to this crime. She has been in prison, basically, because she was living with the wrong man."

    ReplyDelete
  25. Keep on blogging

    ReplyDelete
  26. http://www.thefreespeechzone.net/html/media_contacts.html
    The above link gives contact info for major media.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Okay this post alone has generated 43 comments so far. If each commenter on this post alone contributes $20 to Paul via JPay.com, we can raise over $800 alone for Paul to keep fighting for justice. If we stand by and offer sentiments, it will not help Paul so please decide to take action. Paul can use the money to take the action that he needs to. An online payment takes such little time so please help if you can!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In think our sentiments can help him too!

      Delete
  28. Even $5 x 43 can help

    ReplyDelete
  29. Also, can we donate anonymously?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am told that people do not need to use their real names when sending money via JPay unless they use a credit card. JPay's website answers many questions and provides a form that must accompany donations/gifts/etc.

      Delete
    2. Oh OK Well I only can give a few dollars but you deserve something.

      Delete
  30. Some of us would send money but don't wanna be identified.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Paul and family: you may be interested in this site. www.incarceratedvoices.com/get-involved/

    ReplyDelete
  32. Don't stop. Please.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Paul, please don't give up! p

    ReplyDelete
  34. http://www.prisoneducation.com/university-northern-iowa-g/ master's degree


    Also check Adams state university

    ReplyDelete
  35. What if Dave Mustaine threatened to quit playing guitar? What would he gain by that? Nothing. We all lose. Keep writing. You have it Paul. Take it to the next level. We believe in your talent and your vindication.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Best. Analogy. Ever.

      Delete
    2. Why'd you flip the bird?

      Delete
    3. Anon. July 11 - My cellmate was being sarcastic when offering the cough drops. He knew he most likely gave me the cold and previously I had ridiculed him for using the lozenges. Cough drops do not combat the virus and are only meant to comfort the afflicted.

      Delete
    4. No, they do not combat the virus, but sometimes a little comfort is good.

      Delete
    5. A little comfort in a world of shit is an oxymoron. My cellmate does not need to use cough drops.

      Delete
    6. Jeez whatta grump.
      You need a hug.

      Delete
  36. I don't think 40 years is excessive for a child molester like Malinowski. Paul -- people like that have a high rate of recidivism! What do you think a proper sentence would be for him?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The law does not permit the punishment I personally would give him. However, having said this, the U.S. uses prison far too often and the sentencing ranges are far too extreme. Europe has better sentencing laws which I think should be emulated here while keeping the death penalty, corporal, and other alternative types of punishment. There is a saying in America of "get tough on crime", however, society should be thinking "smarter not harder".

      Delete
    2. Corporal punishment? Really?

      Delete
    3. The man has proven that he will continue to molest children, yet you feel he deserves another chance in society?

      Delete
    4. Checked old news stories...Malinnowski gave one of his victims an STD.
      He has repeatedly messed with kids over the years.
      If anyone should remain in prison, it's him.

      Delete
    5. Yes, John Malinowski had repeated convictions. No more chances should be allowed for him. None.

      Delete
    6. Paul. Do you truly feel that Malinowski should be given another chance at freedom?

      Delete
  37. Keep going your a great writer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paul is a great writer. But "your" not. LOL

      Delete
  38. Though his sentence is truly overkill, Robert Mueller knew the law. And he was aware that he shouldn't be having sex with his students. Though I hope he gets a sentence reduction, I definitely disagree that he didn't merit any prison sentence at all. He was aware that he was doing wrong. The line has to be drawn somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Malonowski is evil

    ReplyDelete

If you choose Name / URL, you can write any name and you don't need a URL. Or you can choose Anonymous. Paul loves getting your Comments. They are all mailed to him.