You are reading a rare, detailed account of everyday life in Stateville Prison.

Click to read Paul's blog quoted on:
To contact Paul, please email: paulmodrowski@gmail.com
or write him at the address shown in the right column. He will get your message personally.

Thursday, April 26, 2012

George Zimmerman -- 2nd Degree Murder -- April 12, 2012

For the last month, I have intentionally been trying to avoid the biased news coverage of the Florida shooting of Trayvon Martin. It was obvious to me George Zimmerman was the target of a deliberate smear campaign by America's liberal dominated mass media. Almost anytime CNN's Anderson Cooper puts someone or some issue in his cross hairs, you can wager he is doing so for some underlying political purpose. These television tabloid journalists care little about balanced reporting, truth, or justice. They care mostly about ratings, sensationalism, and spin. The likes of Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson are only slightly different when they fan the fires of social and political division. Despite how there is little or no evidence, George Zimmerman was not defending himself. I knew the mass rallies by African-Americans would create enormous pressure on the state's attorneys office. Thus, yesterday I was not surprised when the special prosecutor, Angela Grey, announced 2nd degree murder charges.

From the beginning, it was flagrantly apparent news media sought to villainize Zimmerman. Typically, the media waits until a person is arrested to begin their attacks of a suspect, but this was not the typical case. This was a case which involved gun rights and race, two virulently divisive hot button political issues in the U.S. The political left seeks to re-interpret the U.S. Constitution and create a liberal utopia. This utopia does not include 2nd Amendment rights to bare arms, liberty, or the rugged individualism sought by the founding fathers of the Republic. "Progressives" view these values and ideas as outdated. Instead, they seek government dependence and forceful suppression of certain groups and the up lighting of others to create a multicultural egalitarian society. They do not mind if this means oppression and a nation reduced to the lowest common denominator. Little did Zimmerman realize by volunteering to serve his community in a neighborhood watch program, that he would become the arch nemesis of a powerful and pervasive ideology.

One of the most effective tools television news can use to influence public opinion is the use of imagery. I could not help but notice how disparate the photos of Trayvon Martin and George Zimmerman were. Trayvon was an athletic 17-year-old over 6 feet tall. Yet in initial photographs, he is shown as a child. Not only were they several years old but they always portrayed him as a happy, carefree, and angelic boy despite how he was in fact an older juvenile delinquent with prior arrests. It was not until today that I saw a recent photo of Trayvon more serious, mature and dressed in hip hop or gang attire. Contrast the child photos of Martin with the photo of Zimmerman unshaven in what appears to be an orange jumpsuit a convict may wear in prison. Indeed, the photo looks like a mugshot and makes him appear meaner and much heavier than he actually is. According to newspapers, Zimmerman is actually shorter and weighs less than his alleged victim. Interestingly, just recently some news outlets have begun to use a smiling photo of evil incarnate. Could there finally be some facade of objectivity occurring?

Yesterday, I watched several news programs on CNN and Headline News. Nancy Grace was jubilant when George Zimmerman was brought to Seminole County Jail. She said this was the first step to justice, and ridiculed how the man was covered in a jacket when brought in by police The former prosecutor shows contempt for all defendants despite the evidence or lack thereof. She is an equal opportunity "hater," and I suppose this gives her some consistency but also makes her one of the most asinine legal talking heads on TV. Nancy Grace interrupted her show immediately to show Zimmerman's mugshot and it seemed to give her great satisfaction, although she was disappointed by his rather neutral expression. She asked a purported psychologist what he made of the photo and the "expert" said this was obviously a man who had a little bit of smug authority being humbly brought down and worried justice will be served. I flipped over to Anderson Cooper and he zoomed in on his face to show he had no visible injuries. Outrageous, I thought.

After I was roughly interrogated for two days, the police paraded me in front of a large crowd of camera crews and news reporters on the way to the Cook County Jail. The media depicted me as cold and stoic. A few even compared my demeanor to be similar to the perp walk of Timothy McVay who was later executed for the bombing in Oklahoma City. They also commented on my size and muscularity, although I do not know how this was relevant when the victim was shot. Before I walked out the doors of the Barrington Police Station I was given some silly orange sponge slippers with happy faces on them to wear. Not surprisingly, the film footage of me never showed this despite how it was used a thousand times by various news agencies. I suppose it did not fit with the perception of a cold blooded serial killer they were trying to create. However, the news media did mention how there were no signs of physical abuse by my interrogators.

Zimmerman sustained injuries from Trayvon Martin 45 days before his arrest. Over a month's time, a fractured nose or any bruising to the face is going to heal. Furthermore, gashes to the back of his head are not going to be seen in a mugshot. He is also not going to have on the same jacket with grass stains, or possibly blood. Television reporters, however, dismissed this and replayed a very poor overhead video of Zimmerman entering the police station not long after the shooting. Anderson Cooper and Piers Morgan commented how he looked fine and was walking well. I have seen men pulverized or knocked unconscious in prison, jail, UFC fights, and elsewhere who eventually get up and walk without difficulty. As for myself, I never claimed to be beaten pervasively. I was mostly intimidated and threatened. On a few occasions I was slapped or punched in the face when I refused to talk or made snide remarks about the violation of my Miranda rights.

It is amazing how one-sided the news coverage of the shooting of Trayvon Martin has been. All the evidence of Zimmerman's injuries and claims of self defense has been brushed aside. The media instead largely spoke in unison that an innocent black child carrying only Skittles and ice tea walking back to his home was stalked and gunned down by a racist. Full coverage was given to people such as Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson who made the shooting comparable to a Klan lynching, galvanizing the black community to protest in mass. The Black Panthers were reported to put a bounty on Zimmerman and movie director Spike Lee even gave out the address of Zimmerman's family to purportedly just harass them. Fortunately, he published the wrong address but caused another family to flee from their home. When George Zimmerman's brother appeared on the Piers Morgan Show and others, he was treated with hostility as was neighbor and friend Frank Taafee who I must respect. Despite the angry mobs of black people and media's ridicule, he continued to steadfastly defend his friend. While Zimmerman's friends and family were treated poorly, criticized and words edited or not even heard, there was overwhelming coverage, support, and sympathy for Trayvon's parents and numerous lawyers. I never heard of a purported victim's family having attorneys let alone the number of them they had. There was Daryl Parks, Benjamin Crump, Jasmine Rand, and still others I cannot remember.

Today I watched an interview of the parents of Trayvon Martin by Nancy Grace. Sabrina Fulton, Martin's mother, had earlier said how she believed the incident to be an accident, however, on the Nancy Grace Show she retracted this statement and said she had misspoken, but this was readily accepted by the former prosecutor as it was by all the news media. If it had been anyone else, I wonder how this retraction would be taken. Just imagine if George Zimmerman claimed he misspoke. The media, but especially Nancy Grace, could have pounced and eviscerated the man. Watching Nancy Grace I noticed how she intentionally sought to pull out emotion from the parents. It was almost sick how the tabloid television journalist tried to provoke pain and grief. When the parents did not express enough emotion, Grace incredibly began to break down herself. I thought she was even going to cry just for television ratings.

The cases between Zimmerman and I are greatly different, but how we were treated in the news media was very similar. The media went to extraordinary lengths to villainize if not demonize me after my arrest. The press, but especially the television news, was blatantly one-sided, inflammatory, and slanderous. I do understand the Palatine Massacre was one of the most brutal and infamous mass murders in Chicagoland history, but this does not excuse the media from having some integrity in their reporting. The story was not only hyped and sensationalized but maliciously slanted. I was tried and convicted in the media before ever having my day in court. This is what is also occurring to Zimmerman which makes me so incredibly mad. Because of the stand your ground law in Florida, he should have never even been charged.

The special prosecutor during her public address at 5 p.m. Wednesday said her decision to charge Zimmerman was not due to public pressure. This is absolutely absurd and the fact there is even a special prosecutor in itself shows this. For well over a month no authorities chose to arrest Zimmerman. It was only after Anderson Cooper, Nancy Grace, Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson, and mobs of black people began demonstrating in the streets demanding justice that the state's attorneys office charged Zimmerman with 2nd degree murder. As I fully am aware, facts become irrelevant when emotion and politics become involved.

In the Palatine Massacre there were no large groups of people marching with a lynch mob mentality, however, there was tremendous pressure on the Palatine Task Force and state's attorney's office to make an arrest. The police were coming under increasing criticism for not solving the mass murder and possibly bungling the case. Thus, when my co-defendant was arrested for a murder in his home town of Barrington coincidentally close to the still unsolved restaurant murders in Palatine, and tried to frame me for the crimes, police were quick to seize the opportunity. Robert Faraci had no credibility but his straws of hay were spun into gold by the prosecutor's office. Like Zimmerman, Modrowski would be offered to the public as a scapegoat.

Politics reign over the judicial system despite the common illusion it is blind, fair, and independent. This is shown not only in how Florida officials bent to the will of the liberal media and a vocal minority group, but in how Barack Obama's administration became involved. When state authorities were not willing to indict Zimmerman, the attorney general of the U.S. sought to investigate whether the civil liberties of Trayvon Martin were violated. That the U.S. even has special laws for special classes of people is in itself unjust. However, it was clear the White House was playing politics to cater to the Democratic black constituents. President Obama has been in full campaign mode for almost a year and nearly everything he does or says now is done to win reelection. The President even chimed in the local Florida matter to say Trayvon Martin could have been his son. Does this mean if the person killed had been Caucasian, or Hispanic, he would be indifferent? This was supposed to be a President who transcended race and political division. All Americans of any race should be deeply disappointed in Obama for sinking to such lows and political opportunism.

I noticed in the Zimmerman case, the prosecutor did not want to submit testimony before a grand jury to gain an indictment. Instead, the prosecutor submitted a very thin "probable cause affidavit." Allen Dershowitz, a criminal defense attorney, appeared as a guest on the Piers Morgan Show and ridiculed the document. He said the affidavit was morally reprehensible because it lacked any substance and did not mention any information which was favorable to the defense. I thought the evasion of a grand jury took away some of Zimmerman's due process rights, although in Illinois and many other states a grand jury is a mere formality. For example, in my case, the prosecutor was able to call witnesses but they could not be cross examined. They also could testify to hearsay, which is very incredible and is not allowed at trials. Some people stated on television news programs that the prosecutor did this as a matter of strategy to not show their hand. However, I tend to doubt this and believe if anything it was done so the state's attorney could pretend to have a full house while in all actuality they are bluffing and have nothing or a pair of deuces.

A defendant has the Constitutional right to know exactly what he or she is being accused of and full discovery. The defendant also has the right not to be detained without just cause, and I believe the U.S. Supreme Court should mandate detailed indictments and open grand juries when a person's liberty is at stake, especially in a case like Zimmerman's where he faces life in prison. Many of the supporters of Trayvon Martin publicly demonstrating demanded justice. To most, this meant Zimmerman's execution, but a few said they just sought his arrest and prosecution to determine if he is guilty of a crime. However, citizens should not be arrested or prosecuted without compelling evidence indicating guilt. The sentiment of protesters is a shame, and already Americans liberty can be taken away easily. Constitutional rights basic to our values of freedom should not be further eroded despite the heated passions of the mob.

This morning, I woke up at 5 to attend the law library. To give prisoners extra time to research their cases, the warden is permitting a third library line to be run, but it goes out before the crack of dawn. While at the library, it was very quiet and I could even hear black inmates talk hostilely against George Zimmerman. Earlier in the week though I listened to Caucasian and Hispanic inmates who believed he was innocent. I tend to believe liberals encourage this racial divide despite their twisted support of multiculturalism and equality. For those on the extreme left of the political spectrum, race, class and gender warfare is a means to an end for them. Recently, Obama accused Republicans of subscribing to a doctrine of social Darwinism. Instead of defending themselves, they should have embraced this difference in ideology. Conservatives believe in freedom, empowerment and equality of the individual, but not select groups. Given a choice between the oppression of communism and liberty of social Darwinism, I tend to believe the vast majority of people would gladly take the latter. I know I would.

Instead of being goaded by inflammatory and divisive news reporting, I have sought to look past the spin and learn the law as well as true evidence against Zimmerman. In Florida and elsewhere, stand your ground laws allow registered gun owners to shoot an attacker if they believe they are under threat of felony, serious harm, or loss of life. The law forbids prosecution if a gun is used in self defense, and Zimmerman will soon have an immunity hearing. Disregarding various innuendo by tabloid journalists, the affidavit against Zimmerman states simply that he shot an unarmed 17-year-old and disregarded a dispatcher's comment he need not follow the suspect, Trayvon. Because he did not apparently listen, he is accused of being the aggressor. Zimmerman is also accused of profiling the teenager and the affidavit claims the mother can identify her son as the person yelling for help. I do not believe failure to abide by the dispatcher makes the defendant guilty, even if true. The age of the victim is irrelevant as is his not being armed, according to the law. I question if the voice heard is actually Trayvon's and if it was not spoken after being shot. Second degree murder is defined as having malice or "depravity of mind" which I believe cannot be determined. I am not the only one to be suspect of the state's case. Several legal experts predict the charges will be dropped down to lesser offenses. Having said this though, others believe the states attorney will pull a rabbit out of the hat. This is unreasonable and an empty hat is likely to stay empty. Angela Gray charged Zimmerman to appease the public and believes she will win politically regardless of the outcome.

Many find it hard to believe Trayvon Martin attacked an older man, despite his injuries. However, from my own personal experience, I do not. When I was the exact same age as Trayvon, I sped through the subdivision in my Mustang to park on the driveway of my home. Not only was it after midnight and no one was around, but the subdivision was surrounded by cornfields. A car followed me and stopped at the curb. I have had dealings with very violent people in the past. Some of my associates regrettably, those they associated with, and various enemies were brutal men often connected to the mafia. The man who waited in the car I could not see because it was very dark. I did not know if I was in danger and stayed in my car pondering what to do. I had to make a decision to flee or fight, and I was not the type of person to run away. With a pair of leather gloves on my fists, I abruptly got out of my car and approached the other vehicle. The man stalking me also got out and I noticed then that he was an older, well dressed man. As we closed distance, he began to explain to me he lived in the subdivision and was concerned about my "reckless" driving because he had children. With adrenaline coursing through my body, I began to shout at the man. My mother heard the commotion and came out in her bath robe. If it was not for her, I may have very well pummeled that kooky "self appointed neighborhood watchman."

I speculate the circumstances which occurred to me 20 years ago are similar to what happened on the night of February 26th between Trayvon Martin and George Zimmerman. However, this is more conjecture, and unlike so many others, I will not let it affect me. I will also not let emotion, politics, or the slant of television news reporting prejudice my thinking.

At one time, the public believed strongly that I was the person who killed 7 people at a Brown's Chicken restaurant in Palatine, Illinois. Others believed I was somehow, some way, accountable for the Barrington murder committed by my former roommate, and they still may, despite what proof I show to the contrary. There are some cases which can never be figured out with absolute certitude and thus why the law demands that crimes must be proven beyond a reasonable doubt. Trayvon Martin's death was a tragedy but George Zimmerman's prosecution is not justice. Unlike others, I will not presume to know what happened on the night of February 26th in Sanford, Florida. I have been convicted of a crime I did not commit and do not judge others precipitously.

8 comments:

  1. You are very level headed, and I appreciate your analysis of a case that became national news. We can only hope Florida officials use sound reasoning, along with a jury, if it comes to that.

    I also believe in the rule of "beyond a reasonable doubt." Unfortunately, many juries make mistakes. In many cases besides yours, jurors listen to the prosecutor's arguments as if they were the actual evidence. People still don't get it: prosecutors WANT A CONVICTION regardless of the facts presented in court!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My friend open your mind. Zimmerman did not have to get out of the steel cage of safety that was his vehicle. I think autism is the least of your ailments-- being a feeble minded idiot should be at the top of the list.

    By the way I am a former Marine, life long conservative from Trenton, Georgia and card carrying member of the NRA.

    A weapon is there as a last defense--one does not place themselves in danger just because they ar armed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paul is beyond smart and you are beyond rude to insult him just because you disagree with his point of view. The Corps did not do you well. Please have no children.

      Delete
    2. Paul Mr. Sunshine :) how you dare say conservatives believe in equality of individual, freedom, bleah bleah bleah, ei? Ever worked for a conservative? The bastards are cheap, greedy, rude, usualy imbeciles who got the money from the democrat parents who worked as slaves for their worthless offspring have something...Conservatives...you see what they do in Iran, right? they believe they are closer to god, that they know it all, that they are pure, smarter than the dumb masses and we are here to applaud them. I'll take communism anytime over conservatives'paradise where women need the priest's permission to do anything with her body, people need to work hard, for minimum age or as little as posible, to qualify to another year employed there...old people need to die insetad of collecting social security, health care is a right reserved to conservatives and their families, abortion is for republicans' mistresses only...come on...I can't stand Obama but just to stick it to the evil conservatives, I'll vote for the Democrat.

      Delete
  3. To the former Marine: You make comments without knowing all the facts in the Zimmerman case. Shame on you for attacking someone with a greater understanding of the matter! Zimmerman did not get out of his car just because he was armed!

    I am also a licensed gun owner, but it does not make me an expert on the Zimmerman case or any other case. You need not brag about being a former Marine--it adds nothing to the validity of your critical comment or mean spirited name calling.

    I think Paul's post is well written, and presents rational beliefs on the Zimmerman case.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Angela Corey is her name.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL Orange sponge slippers

    ReplyDelete

If you choose Name / URL, you can write any name and you don't need a URL. Or you can choose Anonymous. Paul loves getting your Comments. They are all mailed to him.