You are reading a rare, detailed account of everyday life in Stateville Prison.

Click to read Paul's blog quoted on:
To contact Paul, please email: paulmodrowski@gmail.com
or write him at the address shown in the right column. He will get your message personally.

Friday, May 22, 2009

Memoirs of a Prisoner

Hello. This is my first post to this site. My name is Paul, and I am 34 years old. I am serving a natural life without parole sentence for being held accountable for a murder. I have been incarcerated for over 16 years, and I will probably be here for many more, if not until my death.

I intend to write about my life at the prisons I have lived, once a week. If you like, follow along and learn what it is like to walk in my shoes.

I have seen many tours of people come through the prisons. Some are groups of college students who come to see the cell houses and prison grounds as a part of their studies. Others tour because they are simply curious to see what it is like in Illinois' maximum security prisons. Stateville is completely shrouded behind 30 foot high concrete walls, accompanied by razor wire and gun towers.

During my many lonely years of incarceration, I have corresponded with many people in the US and across the world. It has become apparent to me that there is a lot of curiosity about life in prison. People want to know what it is really like to live behind these walls, locked doors and bars, without any of the sensationalism or misinformation of television. Thus, my idea to begin this website.

This will be like a journal where I will write about my experiences. It will be subjective but also objective, entirely honest, and without embellishment. I will write as if this is my private journal although it will be shared with all of you. If you like, you can post your own comments and messages via the email account. At times, I will be sent copies of these messages via regular mail, as prisoners have no access to computers or the Internet. At times, I may respond in a post in an indirect fashion. However, the basis of my writing is to put my thoughts and experiences to record without outside interference.

Each week, I will cover a new event or subject. My life can be monotonous at times, but for the sake of keeping the material fresh and of interest, I will attempt not to repeat subject matter. The following is the story of my life. I invite you to come along with me.

Paul

20 comments:

  1. Very Interesting. I would like to read about your life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Paul, I have been reading about your story for a couple of years now. I hope the day comes when you are exonerated and can live a normal life with your friends and family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paul, I didn't discover this blog too long ago. I hope you decide to end your sabbatical and write more posts.

      Delete
    2. Can you receive books?

      Delete
  3. So let me get this straight,if someone borrows my wehicle and takes off to murder somebody without my knowledge,how that makes me accountable for the crime????What is wrong with this country's judicial system???WHYARE THEY KEEPING YOU IN PRISON???ALL THOSE YEARS???I'm sorry but I would expect something like that from a third world shit hole country NOT THE USA!Stay strong Paul.Thy day you get your freedom back,sue the shit out of the system!yOU WILL BE IN MY PRAYERS.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know the Modrowski family well, and want you to know how comments like yours make them feel better. Prayers are always welcome. They struggle, along with Paul, as the years pass and lawyers fail to bring good results.

    Thank you for your comments--often expressed by family and friends who once believed there was justice to be found in courtrooms.

    ReplyDelete
  5. New reader to your blog. Looks like I have a lot of catching up to do. God bless you and your family and friends.

    ReplyDelete
  6. New reader here as well. My son has aspergers, and I can only imagine how difficult the noise and such would be for him. I am so sorry the justice system has failed you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this weblog

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow. Thanks for taking the time to write about your life .

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aye, aye, aye, What a story you have. I've read about half your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Please do continue your weblog.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh you have autism. Do you get bullied in prison due to your handicap?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Interesting pod cast. Can't wait to hear more.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes, I agree. Very interesting pod cast. Would like to hear more also.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Interesting site. You shouldn't of quit.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well, the podcast was not good, but hopefully it brought more attention to your blog so you will keep writing. Perhaps some readers could be your new blogtypists.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, good thinking. We'd like to read more of Paul's life.

      Delete
  16. Well too bad you quit this online journal. It was interesting to find a description of daily prison life. All the best to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete

If you choose Name / URL, you can write any name and you don't need a URL. Or you can choose Anonymous. Paul loves getting your Comments. They are all mailed to him.